OK, at the end of Part One we were putting the skins on the beds.
Aren't they looking great?
Next we made the caps or tops to cover the ugly 2x4's.
We wanted them to look chunky and over hang about a half inch.
So we cut long strips out of 3/4 inch MDF.
We router all sides that were not going to be next to a wall or something.
(Now, I'm going to tell you a secret but don't tell anyone!)
The space on either side of the window was not even.
One side had more room.
Sooo... everything including the beds are slightly different sizes.
Why do I tell ya this,
cause we had to cut every cap different to fit each section!
But in the end I don't think anyone noticed, right?
because of these various sizes the angles of the caps inter sections
took some serious brain power.
Once we finished scratching our heads and figuring out all those angles,
we took all the pieces upstairs and used our all purpose kitchen island.
(Do not pay any attention to the sink full of dishes or pile of laundry on the couch in the back ground)
We want the seams to be nice and even
so we opted to make the cap into one piece and then install it.
We used a Kreg Pocket Hole Jig, to make the screw holes.
(You can find that here. We love ours!)
Then just a little glue and some screws and your done!
Note, don't get your holes to close to the edges or each other!
Once done, we laid them in place on a bed of glue and shot a few brad nails in.
Now it's all starting to look like "something"!
details, details, details.
We routered the front edge of each bed
so there would be no sharp edges as you climbed in and out of bed!
Unfortunately the router could not go all the way into the corners.
Solution: We sand the last four inches by hand!!
Then came my favorite!!!
I love how trim can turn an empty space into a show place!
Trim is a wonderful thing!!
Finally we were ready for paint!
I use the same color as the rest of the built ins, Knight's Armor by Glidden.
I tried this 2 in 1 primer paint.
I bought in hopes to save me a step.
But the first coat acts as a primer and then you really need two more coats of paint to get a good finish. Don't think I will go this route again.
After a nice coat of paint they were looking good!
Which is why distressing is hard for me to start.
Things always looks so good with a fresh coat of paint.
But it's going to get distressed over time with those two boys
so I just wanted to start out that way!
Needless to say I distressed everything.
You can see it on the end of the bed trim below.
Wow, there is still more to these here beds!
Maybe I should have made a Part Three!
Oh well, I'm almost done.
I faux painted the caps to look like wood,
The crowning touch was from this ice bucket I found forever ago at DI for $2.
I didn't know where I was going to put them for a long time,
but as we neared the end of the beds it became clear.
Only I need four and only had two!
What to do?
After searching the internet
I found what I thought to be matching lion head pulls
and ordered them.
But what I got was baby lions!!!
I thought diameter meant the diameter of the ring,
but it was of the entire lion and ring!!!
Returning wasn't really and option because of a huge restocking fee!
So I just worked with what I had!
I mounted the babies to a wooden plaque I got at Micheals for around 60 cents.
The babies were put at the head of the beds and the big daddy lions at the foot of the beds.
Turned out to be one of my favorite details.
That's the whole story of how we built those awesome Pirate Beds.
(I know that's a little bragging on my self, but come on that was a lot of work!)
Everyone in our house seems to want a built-in bed now,
Thanks for stopping by!