This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click on my link and buy something, I will earn a small commission from the advertiser at no additional cost to you.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY Upholstery- Covering the Chairs Part 2- Better know as how to fix a Crappy Cushion!!

Are you ready for me to finish these chairs or what? 
 On my last post I had finished the chair and just needed to recover the cushion.  
Sounds simple!  
Well that's what I thought!  
I did it and and set it in place, and I was horrified. 
 It didn't fit!!!  
There was a big gap between the back of the chair and the back of the cushion. 
 And an even bigger gap on the sides by the arms.

And the front piping/cording looked all crappy and wavy, not to mention it was short on the front  edge!! 
 I knew I wouldn't be able to live with this crappy cushion!!!!
I really wanted to keep the insides of the cushions because these cushions had coils in them.  Those coils will outlast any new fangeled foam.  
So I went to the Internet in search of tips and tricks.  I could not find any thing about coiled cushions.  But I found this video, and it helped a lot.

Here is what I did differently the second time:
1.  This first time I cut the top and bottom and side pieces from each original piece.  So they were all slightly different.  The second time I cut the side band as a long even 4 inch strip.  I cut the top and the bottom from the same pattern, so they were exactly the same size and shape.  
2.  I bought new cotton cording, instead of reusing the old cardboard cording. I also opted to use the same fabric for the piping as the rest of the chair instead of contrasting. 
3.  I used the tips from the above video, especially with the corners and  I didn't pin anything this time,  which proved to work much better.  I also started in the the middle and front of the cushion and sewed to the back center along each side.  

Once I started, I had to see it through and stayed up until 1am. 
 Then came the moment of truth, would it fit?!
Why yes it did! 
Yes, at 1am I was doing the happy dance all around the office.
Check it out!!
It fits much better and looks much better!!!

I am so proud of myself!! 
Here's a before and after!! 
What do you think? 
Not bad for my second upholstery project?

I think I might be getting the hang of this.
Another view of before and after!

OK, lets take a look up close at some of the details.  

Bitter sweet moment:
 I successfully had finished one chair!  
Now I had to do it all over again on the second chair!
Here's a picture to prove I prevailed! 
 My lovely new chairs side by side.  

So what did these lovelies cost me?
$80 ($40 each) purchased from DI
$25 fabric from Walmart
$16 decorative nails from Lowe's
$3 Cording from fabric store
Total $124 for both chairs
or $62 per chair!!!!
That is soooo the Batchelors Way!!!!
Tell me what you think? 
How much do you think I saved? 
How much would it have cost to go by two new comparable chairs?

This room is really starting to come together.  
Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up to:

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating


Pine Tree Home said...

Great job! Amazing project. The more you do it the better you get. I have some cushions sitting around that need to be recovered. Next on the long list.

PneumaticAddict said...

I am in awe Ronda! They look AMAZING! Seriously. Very professional looking. I have a couple cool old chairs that need new cushions. Wanna drive down to AZ and help me? : ) I know it will involve the dreaded sewing machine. Yuck. Great job!

gracefulvintage said...

You dd an amazing job and you did it
I think you saved about 500.00 if you had bought them new.
I admire your tenacity!!!!

Rachel said...

I. am. in. awe. Seriously amazing. Way to tackle a hard project and with epic results! Upholstering scares me.

Unknown said...

STRONG WORK RONDA! So very impressed with your hard work! You have reason to be peacock proud!

OrangeBlossom said...

You did an amazing job!!! Thank you for all the documentation .. if I ever find some neat chairs like those, I'll be able to do the same.

Emma said...

Love love love the chairs. My guess would be that new chairs with that much detail would be at least $500 a piece. Awesome job!

Jenna said...

The chairs are gorgeous! You did an amazing job! Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

Anne Boykin said...

You saved a ton and they're gorgeous! Great job.

Carla said...

I believe this is called a channel back chair. I saw one on Miss Mustard Seed's blog.

Rasmussen Family said...

it's definitely worth doing it right so you are pleased with the outcome rather than hurrying to get a finished product and hating it! well done, that's sooo tricky

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl said...

Wow, that is an amazing transformation. I'm impressed by your skills. And I totally understand that feeling when you finish one and want to be done. ;-)