-->

This post may contain affiliate links.

Friday, January 31, 2014

Laundry Room - Cabinets

We are working like mad on this laundry room.  First we made a huge hole in our wall here, and then we added some new lights here!! Now let's see what changes are happening on the other side of this room.  
First, we said good bye to that closet shelf, the only place for storage in our previous laundry room!!  We took it out along with the support boards. 


Next we stacked our machines.  We just bought the stacking kit that works with our machines, simple.  So far this has been one of my favorite parts of the redo!! 
 Let me explain.  
Long ago I did this post about my dryer vent.  My vent goes straight up the wall and all the way through our vaulted ceiling and out the roof.  I have to clean it out a lot and my dryer takes forever to dry!!!  After stacking the machines, we vented our dryer out the side wall, it's a straight 2 foot shot.   My dryer dries in record time now.  
Like 1/4 of the time it took before!!
 I can also go out and clean the vent out with my arm from out side!!!  
Can you tell I'm a little excited? 
 I can't wait to see me electric bill come down!!  
And no more fire hazard!!

OK, enough about that. 
 Let's move on to my first Restore find for this room!!  
Cabinets!!  
With a general plan and measurements of my room, I went looking for cabinets.  The key to doing what I do is to be flexible and think outside the box.  Good measurements are essential.  The Restore has cabinets most of the time, some new and some used.  I found three used cabinets for $5 each!!  
You will always get a better deal if they are used.  I spent a whopping $15.  
You can't make cabinets with shelves and doors for that!!  
These were a little dirty but in sound shape!!
 Score!!!


Cabinet #1 is going to be where we hide our ironing board.  First we cut a hole in the wall the size of our cabinet.  Then we cut down the cabinet's depth on our table saw.  


Here is Cabinet #1 in his new home in the wall.  Of coarse we still have to trim it out, paint it, and build the ironing board part, but looking good so far.  

Cabinets #2 was installed "as is" on the other side of the room.  And Cabinet #3 we mounted above the washer and dryer.  Then we added an MDF side under it to make that entire side flush.  
Three things I want to point out:
1.  We mounted these cabinets with spacers so there would be room to add crown molding later.
2.  You can see the light box from the old light fixture in the ceiling. (Photo above)  We have a plan to cover it later, just wanted to point it out least you think I would leave it that way. lol
3.  Washer and Dry installation access!!! 
 I search high and low for how stacked built in units are accessed for installation and maintenance. 
 I found nothing!!!! 
I did find a general thought that those who install these think it's a nightmare!!  
Being as we are the ones who install and maintain our machines, we put a lot of thought into this!!  
In the end we left an opening  in the back bottom half of our side panel.  We can reach the dryer connection from here and after we put our counter top in, you will only be able to see the access from under neath.  
Any one have another way they solved this problem?

So are you seeing my vision?  
It's starting to take shape!!   
Thanks for stopping by!



Linking up to:



Tutorials & Tips Link Party





4 comments:

Diane at Perfectly Imperfect Life said...

So much cleverness going on here!

So smart to mount the shelf above the dryer and then cover the side! I've been going back and forth on whether we want to stack our units at our new house. Your set up has me thinking!

One question on your ironing board cabinet. Did you have to remove the studs in that hole or did your cabinet fit in between them?

Emma said...

Looking good!

Pine Tree Home said...

You are thinking outside of the box! We too have our machines stacked, but at one time I did unstack them and put them on a DIY pedestal. That worked for a while, until one of them was unbalanced and nearly fell on the floor. I do love the space saving of having them stacked. Good luck in the redo.

Celeste Batchelor said...

Our previous washer/dryer was stacked and it vented out and down another level and also took forever to dry. Our new house it is short too. I never knew that would make such a difference in drying time.

I love what you are doing. I wish I could do something about our archaic cabinets, but then, we don't own this house. :-)